Thursday, May 7, 2009

Hong Kong=paradise??? perhaps yes

So after my 1 and only class today, I headed over to the South side of Hong Kong island to Stanley village. This village is known for its market and beaches and is very crowded on weekends. Thankfully, it was not the weekend so I had a very leisurely time!

I walked around the village and saw the sights: one of the oldest Tin Hau temples in HK (Tin Hau is the goddess of the sea, so as a place where the sea is very important, there are many Tin Hau temples), a building that used to be over in Central which was moved brick by brick over to Stanley and rebuilt, beaches, and a market.

The market was quite nice. Not at all like the Mong Kok or temple street markets where the "shopkeepers" are constantly yelling at you, "Missy, Missy. copy watch? copy handbag?" Here you could actually walk with out being harassed. The stores were also nicer with real clothes, art stores, souvenir shops, and only a few fake designer bags!

The best part about Stanley were the beaches. I didn't' go to the main beach (although I wish I had gone over just to see it) and just went to some smaller beaches. I just sat there for a few hours under the sun and blue, cloudless sky, watching the waves come in and the cargo boats loll about off in the distance. Quite relaxing!

The south side of the island as seems like a different world than Central and Kowloon. No real businesses, hardly any high rises, more nature, and just a laid back feeling. ahhhh.....I'm relaxed just thinking about it.

Anyway, that's it for Stanley, but on the MTR back to campus, this couple walked onto the train. They seemed different than most Hong Kong people....just very well dressed. Hong Kongers strive to dress well, but often do so at the expense of quality. However, this couple just stood out for some reason. So I was looking at what the man was wearing, and noticed he had a brown belt on. I looked down at his shoes to see if they matched, but no, they were black! I thought about berating him for his inability to follow fashion rules...but upon looking at his shoes more closely, it seemed that somebody forgot to take the hair off the leather for his shoes! (and these hairy shoes probably cost 10 times more than regular leather shoes) I knew this couple didn't fit in!

pictures soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment